Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hong Kong and Used Books

Too Many Mainland China Mothers Coming to Hong Kong

This does seem a bit harsh, but I can't blame Hong Kong in the least. They have no room whatsoever. Hong Kong is probably the most dense place I've ever been (or probably ever will be). Something like this could seriously ruin them. It's probably a terribly tempting opportunity for mothers on the mainland, but there just comes that point I guess. Don't quite know how I feel about it. Onwards.

Color Time:
I like to read books; it's no secret. I managed ten over Christmas vacation, and I'm still behind terribly. So what do I do when I get back to college and lose my ludicrous amounts of free time? I go online and buy books, of course! (I mean, of course, in addition to ones for courses.) I love the internet for this. I seem to have acquired some small reputation at the Oak Hall reception desk for being "that guy with all the packages." This is easy when each of those packages cost me four bucks. I like buying used books, and the best place for that is the wide interweb. I just bought a series of four paperbacks this way. It would seem logical to get them all from one place and save on the shipping, but that's not how the world actually works.

I scour at least three different "marketplace" type sites and find the book that's selling for like two cents. With shipping pretty much any book can be found for four dollars. When these books retail for eight dollars, the savings might seem small, but on that series of four books I saved a total of sixteen dollars. That's four more books for free, basically. It's the little victories in life that keep me going, after all.

I should also mention that the internet gives you the best selection you can get. It's amazing that there are books I can't find at our local shop in the mall. I mean, they stock a Star Trek and X-Men Crossover Novel. I know. My head exploded too.