Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Everybody Loves Vista/Computer Nerds Aren't Gods

All this talk of Vista these past few days has really got me thinking. This in conjunction with the fact that, apparently, all blogs need to talk about Windows Vista at some point has led me towards making this post. A post that is depressingly late in coming, I will admit.

I've been mucking about with computers for a very long time. I consider myself fortunate to have had the chance to get my hands dirty before there was even really such a thing as the Windows we know today. It started a lifelong interest and somewhat of a hobby, but it's far from my main interest. I'll get to that later, we're supposed to be talking about Vista right now.

Personally I'm staying away from the entire mess. I have no incentive to get this shiny new operating system. My old one is working just fine, thanks. I've been offered some of the "shiny" kinds of things that Vista adds to the look and feel. Already in XP I find myself annoyed by such things, and have to turn them off as soon as possible. All I see Vista adding to my experience is more headaches.

There's also this: Windows Vista Thinks You're a Criminal

Them's harsh words, but it sure seems like there could be some terrible firey hoops to jump through in this new Windows. I can't begin to understand all the implications or just what in fact it all means, but it seems like I'd be upgrading to a downgrade. Digital Rights Management is an entirely different subject that I can't begin to cover right now, but suffice to say I don't think it should be integrated into the operating system this way.

Color Time:
All right, so I started talking earlier about how computers and the like have been a hobby. This is all fine and dandy, but it has led to some problems over the years. There seems to be this odd tendency for people to regard anyone that knows anything about computers as an absolute expert on the subject. They come to you begging for help, and when the time inevitably comes that you have no idea what to do they act all betrayed. At the end of the day, more problems are solved by skill in Google search than skill with computers.

I guess my message is simple: Don't expect me, or anyone else in the same boat, to know everything about them little boxes with the blinky lights.

5 comments:

Britko said...

I agree about the Google thing, because that's usually the way I go about solving any problems I've had with things not working. Though, I haven't had to use it yet for my wonderful Mac, cuz it's so full of AWESOME and YAYNESS that it doesn't break AND doesn't whine at me about DRM. Jobs>Gates.

Wow, I just realized their last names are plurals of words. Still, in that context, I'd much prefer a job over a gate.

Orie said...

Ah, but you forget that iTunes is in fact DRM incarnate. No matter where you go it'll be there!

Watch out!

Britko said...

Yeah, but at least iTunes still plays songs that I've pirated off of teh internets.

Orie said...

I'm sure you were just kidding about that right?

Haha, good one. *cough*

Britko said...

Well, it does! It plays any mp3, no matter where I got it! Why's you not be believin'?