Saturday, February 10, 2007

Blogs: The Beginning

For my first trick, I shall present you with Ars Technica, my tech blog of choice. They've been around for about six years now, and in addition to just being a website I'd count it as a blog. I've linked to the news section which has posts going down a line commenting on bits of news in chronological order with a bunch of links heading out. Sure sounds like a blog to me.

So let's get to the analysis, I suppose. Well I'll start with the question of the Big Three categories. Of all the options available to me, I'd have to label this one as a Notebook. The posts are long and can often deal with personal opinion, even though they're focused on reporting the news. I'd also have to say this is a journalism-type blog reporting on the realms of technology, though none of the writers seem to have formal training in journalism. Now to talk about the content itself.

The world of tech is usually terribly divided. No matter what OS you use, there's a good chance you hate some other operating system out there (this applies to the tech nerd sect, specifically). Everyone hates Windows, but Windows users hate Macs. Linux users think anyone not using their OS is a capitalist dog. I could go on and on. Ars Technica says, "Hey wait, we're here for everyone. Tech is tech, and we love it all." In their own words: "As you may have already gathered, Ars Technica is not about "Us vs. Them" approaches to technology and computing." (Ars Technica About Us Page) This entire attitude just jives with me.

They're also dedicated to a wide audience. It doesn't matter if you care about games or Linux, as long as it's tech-related you can have your one-stop shop. This is very nice considering how many different combinations of interests in this field a person can have, and to have most of the really important topics in all areas covered in one place is a real time saver. Personally, surfing the internet already takes too much of my time as it is.

I also like that it's from a consumer standpoint--a picky consumer standpoint at that. This isn't some giant ad for tech companies, this is based around giving consumers information about products and the industry. So I'd say the main point here is to get the facts out there to people like me that want to know.

So basically, it's a good overview guide to the tech industry to a whole lot of different fields, with the added bonus of having a policy against elitism. And believe me, that last part can be a godsend. Listening to the mocking and superior voice of a Linux disciple telling you how wrong you are to be using Windows instead of helping with a problem is one of the most annoying things one can experience.

No comments: